9 Dec 2009

It's a bird. It's a plane. No wait, it's Paraman!


I was set the task of 'adding value' to an everyday product, something quite boring, functional, that we take for granted. My product was paracetamol. To enhance this, I looked at the packaging. A common problem with paracetamol is the fiddly packaging, and this packaging's lack of durability/poor practicality. I thought to myself, if only there was a durable and portable form of packaging for paracetamol. My solution was to create a small plastic cylinder container, which releases the capsules at the click of a button. I called this product Paradrops.
My next task was to formulate an advertising campaign for the product. What I wanted, was a really strong hook. Something to target my primarily male target market. I eventually developed the idea of a superhero. This was to be a very novelty, quite cheesy character...but one that sticks in the audiences head. If I could generate public interest in the product, then sales would soon follow.
The campaign was to be executed across three phases. The first, as shown above, was a series of ambient billboards. On these would be a 'projection' of the Parasign. This is of course the call to action for my fictitious hero Paraman. This phase of the campaign was to be left ambiguous, as was phase two. The concept behind this part was manikins of Paraman, placed all over towns and cities in stereotypical heroic places. Such as rooftops, and on gothic churches. The result being people being able to see the hero, take note of such an unusual event, but still not really know whats going on. Phase three, was to be the reveal. As illustrated above, phase three is a newspaper ad campaign. The page would act as a fake front cover for local newspapers. It tells people who Paraman is, and how he saves the distressed from pain. This is all encompassed in a fake news story. Finally, to hammer home the product, is an actual advert for Paradrops, placed at the base of the page.
All in all, these three phases create a multi-media world which promotes my product.
Does this campaign work for you?






5 comments:

  1. this is such an effective outcome to what sounded like a difficult brief. love the blog and website, keep up the good work. if you feel like having a fashion fix take a look at mine http://thededicatedfollowerof.blogspot.com/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,

    Great work, i love the concept of 'Paraman', I think its really memorable and appealing. The only comment I have is that the bottom Paradrops section of the newspaper has quite a different tone of voice to the image of Paraman, maybe you can just make it more Roy Lichtenstein-esque to carry through the comic feel.

    Otherwise, I think its working out really well for you, good job!

    Ally

    www.cargocollective.com/alicebelgrove
    www.abelgrove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I'll take that into consideration and see what I can do to improve it. My thinking was that the packaging should be more serious, to gain the customers trust, but I do see your point. A consistent message should be delievered at every stage of the campaign. I'll look to establish a balance between the products integrity and the strengths of my ad campaign.

    Thanks again for the feedback, I really value it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like the way you've used the superhero character in your advertising campaign.....It's something different, which is one way of making something memorable. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the idea Bob! As someone who is in quite a regular need of paracetamol the one click cylinder design would be very useful. One thing that could happen with the cartoon advertising and the packaging design is that they may come across as sweets to young children and there could be a real problem if children got hold of them by mistake. Although I supose thats ultimately down to bad parenting.

    ReplyDelete