2 Dec 2009

In_Rainbows



So I've just pretty much finished a book that I have been working on for a project, my basic concept being a CD booklet. I though that I would take this opportunity to discuss one of my all time favourite album art. 'In Rainbows' is the cirtically acclaimed album by Radiohead, famous for it's digital release where you pay what you want for it (you've all probably heard the story). Now I think that this concept is all well and good, you get fantastic music for as little as you want...the major downside for me is that you miss out on the fantastic design of the albums casing. This is one of the main reasons that I still buy albums (as opposed to digital download).

As a designer, there is so much to appreciate from this artwork. The typography is crisp and eprfectly balanced. The imagery is vibrant, and at times stunning. When you open up the case, it folds out to reveal some hidden gems, such as stickers and a really nice booklet. For me, these booklets are really important. If done correctly, the artwork can beautifuly compliment the music which creates a whole new level of appreciation for the artists. It really annoys me when to effort is put into the design of these booklets, it sometimes is clearly an afterthought. These tactile and visual qualities should not be overlooked.

Oh and if you don't own this album then I feel for you, it's borderline perfect

2 comments:

  1. Radiohead not only produce amazing music but also produce exquisite artwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the artwork for this album - it's so magical and epic, and I agree about the typography - I'm not sure even how to describe it myself, but....it just works! Radiohead always seem to come out with great concepts for design - whether its album covers, or set design (Leeds Festival this year - amazing!) and I completely agree on the fact that the booklets should complement the music (aside from my love of flicking through them!) and they add to the experience of the music and the meaning of the album. Might go and listen to it now in fact - great post!

    rebekkabaddeley.blogspot.com
    www.rebekkabaddeley.co.uk

    ReplyDelete